Our bodies are composed of more than 50% water. During the warm months of summer, increased body temperatures and excess sweating cause us to lose vital h2o that’s so crucial for our bodies to function properly. When your body isn’t given what it needs to replenish the water that is so easily lost, it can mean seriously negative consequences for your skin (think wrinkles, dryness, discoloration, acne, etc.).
Here in Westchester, our active lifestyles constantly have us on the go. This makes staying hydrated particularly important if we want to maintain healthy, youthful looking skin.
Let’s take a look at the importance of keeping your body and skin hydrated in order to possess radiant skin that glows all summer long…
The Importance of Hydrating from the Inside Out
Staying hydrated keeps your organs functioning at peak levels, which in turn slows the aging process. When our body is dehydrated, our organs need to work harder. This results in a faster and more turbulent aging process. Being that the skin is the largest organ of the body, it’s important to hydrate from the inside out – as well as from the outside in!
Here are some tips for hydrating from the inside out:
Drink plenty of water: Drinking water does wonders for your body. It keeps our bodies hydrated at a cellular level, which in turn allows the body to flush out its system from damaging toxins.
- Begin hydrating your body immediately! Maintaining proper fluid levels is easier when you start your day in a well-hydrated state.
- Invest in a hydration tracking water bottle. There are plenty of nifty water bottles on the market today that remind you when its time to drink your water. Some products will even track your water consumption for you!
- Infuse your water with fruits to make it naturally flavorful. You can also eat plenty of fruits and vegetables directly.
- Eat a well-balanced diet with plenty of antioxidants. Be sure to get enough omega-3 fatty acids. These are the building blocks for healthful skin cells.
The Importance of Hydrating from the Outside In
In order to keep your skin looking and feeling luminous, healthy and hydrated, you need to do more than simply drink water, especially during the summer months.
Dehydrated skin is unable to properly rid itself of toxins and free radicals—resulting in irritation and damaging inflammation. Dehydration can also lead to a buildup of dead skin cells. This makes your skin’s surface appear dull, tired and worn out. What’s more, dehydrated skin shoots off signals to oil glands, prompting them to crank up oil production to defend the skin against external contaminants. This surge in oil production can intensify breakouts and adult acne.
So, how can we hydrate our skin from the outside in?
- Apply hydration directly to the surface of your skin: Keeping your skin hydrated actively slows down the aging process, prevents premature aging, maintains elasticity and keeps your complexion plump and supple. Applying hydration directly to your skin will keep your complexion looking and feeling healthful, radiant, and bright all summer long.
- Know the difference between hydrating & moisturizing: Did you know that there’s a difference between hydrating your skin and moisturizing it? Hydration increases water content to the skin. Moisturizing prevents the skin’s water contents from dissolving into the air.
- Choose products that address both of these processes for healthier, more beautiful skin. Keep your skin looking fresh and dewy all summer long by both hydrating and moisturizing!
SkinCenter offers a wide variety of hydrating and moisturizing products from leading skincare brands such as SkinCeuticals and Neocutis. Our products work to deliver hydration directly to the skin, as well as lock in any existing water content already on the skin’s surface- making them the perfect products for summer skin care.
If you follow the tips mentioned in this blog, you’ll be on your way to enjoying bright, radiant skin all summer long!
Interested in learning more about Westchester’s best summer skin care products? Contact SkinCenter today!
Skin Care Tips, Skin Rejuvenation
Tags: Glowing Skin, Hydrated skin, Neocutis, Radiant skin, skin care tips, Skin care tips Westchester, SkinCeuticals, Summer skin, Summer skin care, Westchester Skin Care